Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chapter 49 - Let's Go Home For Christmas

 
 
 
"Babe, we didn't want you to cry."  Jon says as he walks to her, "We knew you would love it, but not this much."  He kind of chuckles. 

 
Beth looks at everyone and they can see that she has tears in her eyes.  She doesn't look away for long, her attention is on the portrait that she holds in her hands. 

"Look, you're holding Rowan."  Beth points to the baby in the portrait that's in her daddy's arms, "See, she has your mole."  Jon moves in closer and looks at it with her.  He can see that she's very happy with the families present to her.  "Who did you get to paint this?" 

"A local artist that specializes in family portraits." Jon tells her.

Her smile says all the thanks that was needed, but she had to say it, "Thank you everyone, this is gorgeous.  It means the world to me."

"Dad said that the girls will always be with us, now this way they really are."  Jesse says with a little shyness in his voice.  He has always thought that the girls were a touchy subject and didn't talk about them much.  He didn't want to hurt Beth's feelings, or remind her of their loss.  Jesse was super sensitive and is always thinking of others, before himself.

Beth reaches over and takes Jesse's hand, "Yep, they will always be with all of us."  She smiles with the tears running down her cheeks.  "Where should we hang it?"  She asks her family.

"I think it should hang up above the fire place in the family room." Stephanie chimes in, with a little sadness in her voice.   "We belong above the fireplace."

Jon says, "That's a great place for it to hang."  He reaches and takes the portrait from Beth and adds, "You have a few more presents to open, babe."

With presents stacked at her feet,  Beth starts to open them.  One by one she sees by the gifts what everyone really thought of her and where she fit in with the Bongiovi's.   From funny character gloves to beautiful designer scarves, Beth could tell that each gift was bought with her in mind.  All in her favorite colors and from her favorite designers.

When they were done with their gift exchange, grandma rushes everyone out, knowing that Beth needed her rest.  It was late and everyone was supposed to fly home the next afternoon.  Beth hugs, kisses and thanks everyone as they leave.

With everyone gone, it was just Jon and Beth again.  He stood next to her bed and looked at her.  "What?" she asks, looking up at him.
 
He smiles.
 
"What?" she laughs, "Why are you looking at me like that?"
 
He leans over and kisses her, maybe moved by the fact that it was Christmas Eve, "I truly believe that I am the luckiest man alive."
 
"Where did that come from?" she grabs his arm and pulls him close.  "What's gotten into you?" 
 
"I didn't see that painting until tonight.  My mom had it and wrapped it up." he admits to her.
 
"Really?" Beth is shocked.  "It's gorgeous, isn't it?" 
 
"I would have paid all the money in the world for that.  The detail is scary, almost."
 
"He captured the kids to where they are lifelike."
 
"He did an amazing job.  I am very pleased with the finished result." Jon tells her.  "I'd love for him to do a portrait of us."
 
"When I feel better."
 
There was more small talk about the painting and a few other things.  Jon could see that Beth was exhausted, he could see that she was in pain.  "I'm going to get you some more pain medicine.  Do you want anything else?"
 
She smiles and just shakes her head no.
 
"I'll be right back."  He kisses her forehead and goes to get her medicine.  While he's gone, she gets up and drags her IV cart into the bathroom.  She needed to brush her teeth and go to the bathroom.  She did what she needed to do and was making her way back to the bed when Jon reappeared.  "Hey, what are you doing?"
 
"I had to pee."
 
"You should have waited." he tells her.  "I wasn't gone that long."
 
"I had to pee, babe.  I'm good."
 
He helps her get back into bed and when she's situated, he hands her her pain pills.  With a bug gulp of water, they went down pretty easy.  "Want the lights and the TV off?"
 
"No."
 
"Are you going to get some sleep?"
 
"Only if you join me." she replies, patting the space next to her.  "Come on."
 
He stands there and looks at her, smiling inside.  "Are you sure?  I don't want you uncomfortable at all."
 
"You standing there looking at me makes me uncomfortable.  Will you please get in here." she states, pulling back the blankets.
 
"How do you feel?"
 
"I'm a little sore, but I feel great."  She slides over a little, making more room.  "I love that you had the kids come up here, that made it all better."
 
He closes her room door and turns the light off.  Making his way to the empty side of the bed, he pulls off his shirt and tosses it on the chair.  He then takes off his shorts and climbs into bed with her.  She had him get comfortable first and then she worked her way into his arms and his legs.  He spooned her like he's never spooned her before. 
 
They lay there and he tells her that everyone is leaving tomorrow.  He's going to try to get her released to go home and have follow up care with their doctor in Red Bank.  If the Dr. doesn't agree, than they stay put until she is released.   She tilts her head back and asks him, "Do you understand the whole tube and ovary removal?"
 
"I think so, why?" he's a little shocked by the question. His nose is buried in her hair and he can't think of anywhere else he would rather be.  "Do you understand it?"
 
She rolls back, laying more on Jon, he holds her in place.  "Yeah, I understand why they took it and our chances of getting pregnant may have slimmed a little, but did he say anything about hormone replacement?"
 
"Not to me, did he to you?"
 
"No, I was just wondering if I may need to since I only have the one ovary.  I'll ask him tomorrow."  She stretches her neck and kisses her rock star on the cheek.  "Thank you."
 
"For what?"
 
"For not giving up on us."
 
He holds her face, so that she's looking at him and he tells her, "Give up on us?  That will never happen, Beth."

2 comments:

  1. True to his word Jon never did give up on them either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok I hope Jon has underwear on or the nurse may get a shock when she comes in to check on her!

    ReplyDelete