Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chapter 50 - It's Only If You Have To

The lights go on without warning, disturbing Beth in her deep sleep.  "Good Morning, Miss Adams.  I need a set of vitals." Says the morning nurse that has no idea what she's just done.


Beth doesn't recognize the voice, so she says, "I'm sleeping, come back later."

"Ma'am I need to get your vitals signs for the chart, do you........"

"She said she was sleeping and to come back later." Says the rock star popping up from behind Beth. "Turn the light off on your way out!" Jon tells her with no apology in his voice.

The nurse stands there dumbfounded for a minute, thinking to herself is that who I think it is?  She decided it was best to leave and come back, "I'll do my rounds and return." She says as she makes a quiet exit.  As soon as she leaves the room she makes a mad dash for the nurses station and asks the charge nurse "Is that Jon Bon Jovi in room 311?"

"Yes, why?  Is everything okay?" The charge nurse asks.

The nurse nods and says, "He just kicked me out of the room. I need Miss Adams vitals."

The charge nurse laughs, "Yeah, we should have warned you about that."  She laughs some more, "Did Miss Adams wake up?"

"Yes."

"Then we know she's alive, I'll get her vitals later.  Sorry about that."

The nurse can't believe that she was just yelled at by Jon Bon Jovi.  She walks away and calls her very best friend.

Meanwhile, Jon and Beth melted back into one another and started to doze when the room telephone rang.  "Jesus Christ, can't we just get some sleep?" Jon says, loudly.  He reaches back and answers the phone, "What!?!"

"Jon dear, it's mom.  Did I wake you?" Carol asks her son.

"No, the nurse beat you by 5 minutes, what's up?"  He asks, looking at his watch. It's 7:10am.
 
"We were just getting ready to pack up and head to the airport.   I wanted to wish you and Beth a Merry Christmas, before we left."
 
"Are you stopping here before you go to the airport?" he asks, wanting to say goodbye to his kids. 

"Of course, we can do that." Carol assures her son.  "We won't be too long."
 
"Okay, I'll see you when you get here."
 
"I love you two, please kiss Beth for me and we'll see you soon."
 
The line goes dead.  He hangs the phone back up and tells Beth that the family is on the way and that they will be to the hospital shortly.
 
She rolls onto her back and looks at him, "I have to pee, can I do it on my own?  Or do you have to help me?"
 
He sits up, "I'll help you babe."  He starts to get out of bed, and she puts her hand back to stop him. 
 
"I can do this.  Go back to sleep, babe." she tells him as she scoots off the edge of the bed.  Reaching for her IV pole, she about tripped and he seen that.  Needless to say, he was out of bed and at her side in a second.  He helped her into the bathroom and then she shoed him away.  "Go back to sleep."

He leans on the door frame, crosses his arms, smiles at her and says, "I'll wait right here."

"Jon, go lay down." she laughs at him.  He's standing there in his boxer briefs, looking as sexy as no sleep can look.  The after five stubble was so sexy to her and she hardly got to see it.  He always liked to be clean shaven and  professional looking.  She gets to see it on long weekends home.

"I'll help you back to bed first."

"If the kids are coming, I'm not getting back into bed.  I'd like to see the doctor before they get here, it would be nice to go home together."  Beth tells him.  "I don't want to be here without them and I don't want them going home without us."

"They just might have to, they're in very good hands."

Beth finishes using the bathroom and washes her hands before brushing her teeth.  "What do you think Dorothea is up to?  Do you think that she's still here?"

That got Jon's attention, he had forgotten that she was on the Island.  "Fuck, I have no idea.  Don't even want to fathom a guess, at this point."  Jon walks into the bathroom and empties his bladder.  "I don't think she's still here."

Beth turns around and looks him up and down.  She loved him in his boxer briefs and at this moment, he's as naked as he's been with her in days.  She misses him and doesn't mind watching him pee while she brushes his teeth.  He was her everything, all at once. 

They both have finished with their quick morning routine that didn't include a shower.  Beth knows that she has to have a dressing over her incision before she can shower and Jon was just going to wait and see what happens, once the doctor comes in.  They go back to her bed and sit next to one another.  Jon grabs his phone and sees that there isn't anything pressing that requires his attention, so he diverts it back to Beth.  "Are you hungry?"

"Hell yes." she giggles, "I could eat a horse."

"I guess you are hungry.  Want me to get you a tray or do you want me to go to the cafeteria?" he asks her, willing to do whatever she wants. 

"A tray will be fine" she takes his hand, "there is no need for you to go downstairs and get spotted."

"I have my hat and glasses."

She laughs, "The disguise that fools no one?  I'm good with a tray, babe."  She leans back and grabs the call button that's on the side of the bed.  She presses the nurse call button.

"May I help you?" says the nurse.

"Good Morning, can we get 2 breakfast trays in here and the nurse for the vitals that she wanted.?"

"Absolutely, I'll call the kitchen and have them rush it.  Is there anything in particular that you  want?"

Beth looks at Jon, smiles and answers the nurse, "Coffee, white toast with strawberry jelly, fresh fruit and strawberry yogurt if it's available, times two."

The nurse writes as fast as Beth was talking, "Yes, ma'am.  I'll have them rush it and I'll send Julie back in for your vitals.  Will there be anything else?"

Jon jumps in and asks, "Is her doctor available?" 

The nurse is quiet for a moment and then comes back with, "As a matter of fact, he's walking in right now.  I'll send him right in."

Jon and Beth, at the same time, say "Thank you."  And that was the end of the nurse call.  Jon gets up and slides his shorts back on, knowing that the nurse and the doctor will be right in.  Beth is getting anxious, she wants to see the doctor because she knows that he'll let her go home.

2 comments:

  1. Its funny what they said to the nurse - wish that would have worked when I was in the hospital when the nurse came in at 6 am to wake me & take my vitals LOL. hey Beth live a little & have pancakes for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great chapter. I don't blame Jon or Beth for being upset at the nurse waking them up.

    ReplyDelete