Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chapter 57 - They Don't Make No Band Aid

 
 
 
Beth arrives at the vineyard around lunch time.  The place is a buzz with mashers and guests, she is in awe of what she sees.  People everywhere laughing, talking, having fun - soaking up the California sun. 

She parks behind the house and drags her bag in the back door.  Plopping her purse and her bag on the counter, she immediately opens all the windows and all the doors.  Out there, she was faceless for the most part.  If guests knew that she was there and that it was just her, she would be left alone.   Once she has the place opened and airing out, she walks out on the back patio and looks around.  It's the dead of winter in New Jersey, and it's perfect in the valley.  Beth was happy.

After soaking up some sun and fresh California air, Beth goes in to call Jon.  She told him she would call when she landed.  She digs her cell phone out of her purse and finds his contact info.  She places the call and after just one ring, "Hey babe!"  Jon says as he answers the phone.  Beth can hear the kids in the background, "How was your flight?"

"It was good, how is everything there?" Beth responds, hoping that Jon isn't dealing with any crap from Dorothea

"So far, so good.  I'm at the hotel now, I have the kids here so they could have a little for a break.  They're getting ready to head to the pool.  How's the vineyard?"

"It's gorgeous up here, I have all the windows open, airing this place out."

"Was it bad?" he asks her, referring to the fact that the house had been locked up for so long. 

Beth walks out the front door and sets on the steps, "No, it wasn't too bad"

"Are there a lot of people there?"

Beth looks around, the cars that are parked down the hill in the parking lot lead her to believe that the place is at capacity, "Yeah, it looks pretty full.  No one knows I'm here yet, so I'm not sure."  There's a moment of silence, "How did you get the kids to you at the hotel?  Have you seen Dorothea?"

"My parents brought them to the airport to pick me up.  We just got here not to long ago.  We stopped for lunch first."  Beth can tell that they are in the elevator, she hears the voice telling them what floor they are passing, "I haven't seen Dorothea, yet.  I don't think I will until later tonight."

"I'm glad you have the kids, tell them I said hi."

"I will.  What are you going to do?" he questions her, having no clear idea why she decided to go to the vineyard out of the blue.

"I just want to see how things are running.  From here and on paper they look great, but I want to do a walk through of the hotel and the rest of the place."  She chuckles a little bit, "I need to see what my money has been doing while we've been away."

"I'm sure everything has been fine, but you have fun with that." he laughs back at her, "Better you than me."

"When are you heading to the funeral home?" Beth changes the subject, knowing that the time is limited to talk. 

Jon sits in a chair next to the pool, tossing the kids towels on a chair next to him.  It's not the best hotel he's ever been in, but it's not the worst either.  He needs a bed for two nights and then he's out of there.  "The visitation is at 7:30, so I'll head over there about 7:00."

"Why are you leaving so late?"

"What do you mean?"

"I would have thought that you would go earlier to support Dot and her mother." she tells him, shocked that he wasn't going earlier. 

"There isn't any need for me to go any earlier than that.  The media is all over down here, waiting to get a glimpse of me, I assume.  There were at least a dozen reporters at the airport."

"Seriously?"

He laughs, "Yeah, and I went through the executive terminal.  News travels fast."

"I guess."

"We drove by the funeral home on the way here and there are some set up outside already for tonight.  I have a call into the PD to provide a little extra security, Dot doesn't need to deal with asshole reporters."

"I agree, that's nice of you to think ahead like that."

"Honestly, my kids don't need the bullshit - I wondered how the world found out that her dad died.  Someone told the press." And he placed a little emphasis on the word someone.  They know that it was leaked from Camp Dot, just to draw attention to the fact that Jon would be there with her. 

"You did the right thing, extra security never hurt anyone.  Plus, it's better to be on guard for what she may have planned." Beth says, knowing in her heart that they will have to deal with some headline or some situation that will come from Jon being in the same zip code as Dorothea. 

"I just want to do what we're here to do and get back to you." he tells her, "I miss you so much already."

"I miss you too.  Wish you were here, it's so peaceful here.  The grounds are beautiful and the weather is perfect."

"Why don't I come to you from here?  We can do a couple of days together at the vineyard before getting back to real life?"

Beth smiles, "I would love that."

"So I'll just fly out there on Sunday, instead of home." Beth can hear the smile in his voice and that makes her smile.

"What about the kids?" Beth knows that they go back to school in a few days, the rest of their vacation was supposed to be with Dorothea, "Will they stay with Dot, or come with you?"

"She'll want them to stay, and they should, it was their grandfather.  I think it would do them some good to get close and get to know her side of the family a little better."

"Sure, but how do you think they will feel about it?"  Beth questions him, thinking that they might not be too happy about having to stay in Florida with their mother.  "But, that's up to you and Dot."

"It will be fine." Jon assures her.

"Are you okay honey?  You sound a little bummed or something?" Beth can hear it in his voice that the happiness that they shared in the morning, back in New Jersey was gone.

Beth can hear some rustling and waits a moment for his response, "I'm okay.  Just waiting to get to the day when we can do all of this stuff together.  We are always at oppose sides of the country and we shouldn't be."

"I know, but it's part of our lifestyle.  These are the challenges and the trials that will make us stronger."

"I shouldn't be here without you and you shouldn't be there without me.  We are a couple for God's sake, why do we have to keep doing it all separate?"  Beth can hear his tone change and she can feel that he's really torn up by what they are going through.

"Babe, this is just a pothole in the road to our life.  It's 2 days, we can get through this just fine." 

Beth can hear in the background, "Daddy, come swim with us, please?"  She knows that it's Jacob and that makes her smile.  The boys are growing so fast that it seems one blink and they've grown a year.

"Do you have a bathing suit on?"  Beth laughs, she can see her man sitting in a lounge chair with his ball cap on.

"Yes."

"Then you better go.  Go have some fun with the kids, babe.  Give them hugs and kisses for me."

"I will.  Will you call me later?'  he asks, wanting to talk to her again.

Beth gets up and starts to walk around the house, kicking pebbles that she sees on the way.  "Why don't you call me when you get back to the room tonight?  I don't want to call and interrupt anything."

Jon sighs, "Yeah, you're probably right.  I'll call you once I'm back here."

"I love you."

"Ditto babe."

And the call ended.  Jon went and joined his children in the pool and had fun in the little time that they had.  Beth heads back into the house and grabs her purse, that has her day planner and he folder containing everything that she has regarding the vineyard.  With that in hand, she heads toward the office and looks around.  No one really knows who she is other than Vincenzo, and she hasn't seen him yet.  When she walks into the office, she is greeted by a young lady.  "May I help you?" she asks Beth, unaware of who Beth is.

"I'd like to see Vincenzo, is he in?" Beth asks the young lady.

The young lady, very professional like said, "I'm sorry, Vincenzo is on vacation.  Would you like to speak with the assistant manager, Mr. Patterson?"
 
Beth shifts her weight and asks, "Is he available?"
 
"I believe so, could I tell him who's here?"
 
Beth smiles, "I'm the owner of the vineyard, just tell him that his boss is here."
 
"Yes, ma'am."  the young lady picks up a phone and dials a few numbers.  "Mr. Patterson, the owner of the vineyard is here to see you."  She goes quite for a minute and sends Beth back to the assistant managers office.  She could have bypassed the receptionist altogether, but Beth understood chains of command and the respect for a worker should change just because you're the owner.
 
Beth walked behind the counter, looking at papers that were laying around and just quickly checking things out.  The receptionist was a little nervous now, specially since she knows who Beth is.  "Can I get you anything Mrs. Bongiovi?"
 
Beth was shocked by that, she's not called that very often and when she hears it, she think someone is talking to Dot.  She looks at the receptionist and tells her, "No thank you."  And she's off to find the assistant managers office.  Looking at the door, she can see that she's at the right office.  The name plate on the door says, Mr. Patterson: Assistant Manager.  Beth tidy's herself up a bit, making sure that her skirt is straight and she looks alright, she then knocks on the door. 
 
"It's open."  Beth turns the knob and walk in.  Mr. Patterson is sitting in his chair with his back to the door, watching the guests outside.  He says to her, without looking at her, "It's beautiful, isn't it?"
 
Beth clears her throat, a little put off by the disrespect.  He should be on his feet, shaking her hand making her feel at home.  Beth makes a mental note: get rid of Mr. Patterson.  "It is beautiful.  Mr. Patterson, my name is Beth Adams, the owner of this vineyard.  I expect a certain level of professionalism from you and having your back to me still, is not acceptable."
 
"What would you rather I do?  Bend you over the desk and fuck you?  he spins around in the chair and she is now face to face with Dalton.
 

4 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!!!! Didn't see that coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Jesus! Jon's going to have a hissy fit and Beth is going to pass out right there. Or puke all over him!!!!!!!!!!!! Nervous breakdown time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! I thought he was in jail? How the hell did he get out?Let alone get a job at the vineyard? Heads are going to roll on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the.... How did he..... What ??????? Oh this is going to be good. But I am going to have to make my self wait a few chapters so I can read it all at once. (HATE waiting for the next installment LOL) Good job GREAT chapter. So unexpected!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured it might be him. now hopefully he doesn't do anything to her before Jon gets there!

    ReplyDelete