Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chapter 63 - Live For The Fight

 
 
 
Her back is to Jon as she stands there looking out the window.  She sees people on the street and can't help but think, their life has to be so much easier than mine. 
 
 
She's brought back to reality when she hears Jon say, "Beth, will you come here and sit down please?"  She pivots on her foot and looks at him, stunned by how he just talked to her.  She heard a little crack in his voice and she could hear a slight smile, but what she sees is conflicting.  He walks toward her as she walks to him, doing as he asked.  He can see the concern on her face and he feels like he's being an ass by dragging out what he has to tell her, what he's kept from her.  When he reaches her, he cups her face in his hands and gently kisses her lips, "You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, do you know that?"  He kisses her again. 
 
Beth smiles at him, feeling him and herself relax just a little bit, "Mmmm.  I can think of three other things that might out rank me on the that."  she tippy toes it and kisses him.  "Are you going to tell me what's going on with you?"
 
"Yes, can we sit?" he makes motion toward the couch.  Beth takes a seat on the couch and braces herself for a whammy.  She is so lost at the moment, she's not even sure that she can handle what he has to tell her, the anticipation is about killing her. 
 
Jon kneels in front of her and kisses her hands, "I got a phone call on Sunday when I was leaving Florida."
 
"When you were heading to California??" she asks him, even more confused wondering who would call him on a Sunday and talk about business?  It couldn't be personal, all of his ducks were in a row and Beth knew all was well when he left Florida.
 
"Yeah, right after I got to the airport." he tells her, telling her in baby steps because he knew that she would need it that way.  She's going to have to absorb what he's about to tell her. 
 
"Okay?"
 
"Well, the number wasn't one that I recognized.  With you being out in California, I answered it just to be sure that you were okay, thinking the worst.  It seems that something always happens when we are apart."
 
"It would seem that way."  she admits, knowing that he was right.  If it was bad and it could happen, it would happen to them and when they were apart. 
 
"And today reminded me of that.  Tonight I was pissed about the breach of contract but that was only exacerbated by the phone call that I got and the reminder that I needed to talk to you about it." his knees are starting to hurt, so he takes a seat next to her.
 
"Who was the call from?"
 
"I have been torn between telling you and not telling you until much later."
 
"Tell me what, Jon? Who called you and what did they say?"  Beth's concern is quickly turning to upset and she lets Jon know, "Now you're pissing me off."
 
He chuckles a little and continues to tease her, "Our time in California was wonderful, even though it was shadowed by Dalton and the fact that he had been there."
 
"JON!"
 
"Whoa, hang on a minute - I need to explain something to you."  he turns to face her a little better, and continues, "I have had some news to share with you that I wanted to tell you, but I thought that as soon as I told you, something would happen.  I know it's a selfish reason to keep something from you, but it's like that for us."  he takes a deep breath, "It seems that every time we have happiness or something to look forward to, something comes along and fucks it up and that fucks us up."
 
Beth's emotions are all over the place now and anxiety is the alpha feeling right now.  She can see that he has something great to tell her, he has a spark in his eye.
 
"And tonight made me think about it and made me not want to tell you.  I mean look at it, I had a gig tonight that paid a million dollars for 90 minutes of my time.  My time is worth a million dollars, but I can't seen to use my time to make our lives whole, make them complete." He takes her hand again and tucks it between his legs, "When the easiest, and I literally mean the easiest of tasks couldn't be done by Microsoft, it further cemented that easy isn't for me and you.  We need to fight for what we want, we need to dig and claw our way to what we need, what we want."
 
"I'm not following this Jon.  How do Microsoft and the phone call tie together?" she asks with an innocence in her voice.  "Connect the dots for me, please."
 
Jon stands and starts to pace, "Okay, in my mind the show for Microsoft was a slam dunk.  I walk in, work my magic and walk out a million dollars richer.  But I think that because you were there, there had to be issues.  Not because you were there, but because we were there and we were happy.  SOMETHING had to fuck up and it did.  Okay, end of that story.  I'll deal with the backlash tomorrow, but do you see what I'm saying?"
 
"That everything we do together always ends up messed up, or fucked up as you put it?"
 
"Exactly!"
 
"So, how does this work with the Sunday phone call?  Who was it?  What was it about?"
 
She watches him as he continues to pace, and every step that he took made her a little more upset.  "The phone call was good news, and I fear that if I tell you and share it with you that something will fuck it up."
 
"Can you stop using that word, please.  You're too much of a gentleman for that type of language."
 
"Sorry, but you know fuck is my favorite word."
 
"You're real close to hearing me use words like that if you don't tell me what's going on."
 
He turns back to her and kneels before her again and tells her, with her hands in his, "The phone call was from Theresa."
 
Beth gives him a look of even more confusion and she's trying to figure out why Theresa would call him on a Sunday.  "What did she want?"
 
He leans forward and kisses her forehead, "She wanted to tell is that we're pregnant."
 
"WHAT?"  Beth's heart is in her throat and she can feel her palms get sweaty.  "She called my phone because that was the only number on the lab slip we filled out when they drew blood."
 
"We're pregnant?"  her eyes start to tear up and she asks, "Why didn't you tell me on Sunday?"
 
He hooks her neck and pulls her to him, "Babe, I was afraid to tell you for fear that something would go wrong - like I have said all night.  We have a good thing happen to us and then BAM, something goes wrong."
 
Beth goes quiet and stares at the floor.  She is going through the surgery and the drugs that she was on.  She was pretty sick, was the baby affected?  She has so many questions that she knows she can get answers for, but there is one that she can't get passed.  The one question that has nagged her for months and months, "What if it's a girl?"  She starts to shake and Jon notices that.  He sets back by her in the couch and puts his arm around her.
 
"We can't worry about that babe.  We need to get on with life and prepare to have a baby."

2 comments:

  1. Don't swear Jonuś it doesn't suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I understand why he reacted the way he did earlier. He is scared something is going to go wrong again for them. Lean on each other, Jon and you will get through the hard times together. Now go celebrate!

    ReplyDelete