Sunday, December 15, 2013

Chapter 30 - Can I Let My Breath Out?

 
 
She quickly regains her composure, and stands up.  "How long have you known?"

 
She can't believe what she just heard him say, and she also can't believe that Dalton is out of jail.  "How can that be?"  She looks at Jon and he can see the terror coming over her face.  "He said he'd kill me if I told anyone, Jon, he said he'd kill me." her tears roll down her cheeks. She starts to panic.

"Hey, sssshhhhh.  You're going to be fine." Jon brings her to him and he holds her close.  He can feel her heart beat on his chest.  Holding her close he also says what needs to be said, "Now you see the need for added security?"  she just nods her head.

"When did you find out?" 

"Yesterday before we left." he admits.  "I thought that we would be okay up here, until that reporter called.  Once a reporter knew, I knew we would need the extra eyes."

"How did you find out?" she asks, she hasn't heard anything about it and she thought that she was to be contacted when and if he got out of prison.  "How can he be out of prison?"

Jon can feel her go weak again and he holds her even tighter.  He doesn't want to have a long drawn out conversation so he decides he's going to give her the facts and leave it at that.  "I got a call about it yesterday before we left.  Peter seen it on the LA news."

"How did he get out?"

"I didn't get all of the details, but it sounded like over crowding and the lower severity of his crime made him eligible for early release.  I'm not sure." He takes her to sit on the couch, with his arm over her shoulder.  "Peter's firm is working on it here, in L.A, to see what we can do to guarantee that he leaves us alone."

"He won't." she puts her head in his hands.  "He'll try to find me, Jon."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  I'll talk to Peter about it on Monday, but you do see that you can't stay here alone, right."

Beth looks at him blankly and is suddenly reminded of a statement that she made just a little while earlier.  "I can't let him control another minute of my life." She wipes tears away from her eyes.  "He took enough, he isn't taking anymore."

Jon leans into her and kisses her cheek, "I admire your strength, but you're not alone."

"I know."

"Will you go home with me?" he asks her, hoping she says yes, but knowing that she'll say no. 

"No.  I'm going to do what I planned on doing, but I'll let the goon squad hang around." she tells him even though she isn't happy about it.  "Please tell them to hang back, I don't want them in my face.

He laughs at that, because she doesn't like attention drawn to her.  She would rather keep a low profile, do what she has to do and get out.  "I'll fly out Monday morning, instead of tomorrow.  You get done what you need to get done and get home, okay."

Resting her head on his shoulder, she says, "Yes, dear."  he kisses the top of her head.  "I have a mess to clean up."  She gets up to clean up her mess and Jon stops her by grabbing her hand.  She turns back to look at him.

"Babe, it's okay to be scared.  It's okay to fall apart, it's okay to feel how you feel.  Please don't shut me out and don't downplay this."

"I won't and I'm not honey.  I'm sick of being scared.  I'm sick of feeling like he stole something I can get back.  He's not going to win."  And as she says this, the emotions boil to the surface and she starts to cry and shake.  He gets up and wraps his arms around her again and squeezes her tight.

"We will get through this too Beth.  I promise." she takes him in her arms and hold him just as tight.

"I know."

They stay in the embrace of their love for what felt like a happy lifetime.  Jon knows that she needs to lay down and shut her mind off.  He needs to get her into bed and help her relax, it's the least that he could do.  "Come on.  Let's get you into bed.  We can watch a movie or something."

"I have a mess to clean up."

"Get in bed, I'll take care of it." he starts to guide her toward the bedroom. 

"I'll clean up my own mess."  And she does, with Jon at her side.  she's not sure what she's feeling at the time.  She's embarrassed that she vomited at the sound of just his name, she feels terrible that the drama and the baggage that comes with her is continually affecting is life.  She knows that he deserves better and a less complicated life, but she is whole heartedly thankful that he has decided to stay at her side, and hold her hand through it.  He is her rock.

When they have the kitchen cleaned up, together they get ready for bed.  Jon sits on the side of the bed and calls the kids.  Dorothea answers the phone.  "Hello."

"Hey, what are the kids doing?" Jon asks his soon to be ex wife. 

"They all are in the pool.  Nick from next door is here too."

"So you're out in the Hampton's?" he questions

"We are.  We came out earlier today, why?"

Jon isn't going to go into any details with her, he just wanted to make sure that everyone is okay.  "I'm just checking in.  If they come in, in the next little bit, will you have them call my cell?"

Dot notices on the caller ID that it said Bongiovi Vineyard and has to know, "My lawyer didn't find the vineyard in his search of property owned by you, why does it still have the Bongiovi name?"

"Please don't start Dot.   It isn't your concern, okay.  Just have the kids call me." he waits for a few seconds for her bi-polar response and doesn't get one, so he hangs up. 

"Is everything okay??" Beth asks him as he climbs into bed.

Laying on his back, he pats his chest to tell her to rest her head on her happy place and then he tells her about the quick conversation that he had with Dot, the whole time he is rubbing Beth's back and shoulder.  A few minutes of that and he can feel the stress leave her body and her breathing get deeper, she's almost asleep.

She was restless during the night and woke Jon on several occasions. When he would wake, he would move in closer to her and hold her, and that seemed to settle her a little bit.  By time morning came, he was exhausted from all of the interrupted sleep and wasn't awake when she woke up.

She gets up and walks to the kitchen and makes a pot of coffee in the brand new coffee pot that was on the counter.  When it had finished brewing, she poured a cup and headed out to the patio, stopping on the way to grab his cigarettes from his bag.  Once she was outside, she lit up and enjoyed her coffee on the patio, with two armed men in eyesight.

The more she wakes up and starts to add thoughts to her day, she wondered, do these men even know who they are on the look out for?  So, she walked over and asked one.

Extending her hand, she says "Good Morning.  My name is Beth and I'm the person that you're protecting."  The security agent shakes her hand and nods to her, as if to say hello.

"Do you have any idea who you are keeping an eye open for?  Do you know what this man looks like?"

"Ma'am, it would be in everybody's best interest if you didn't speak to us. It doesn't help us to blend in."

"Excuse me, but if you're hired to protect me, I will talk to you.  So, I'll ask again, do you know who you are looking for?"

The agent takes a deep breath, while he shifts his stance.  "Yes, ma'am.   We know who we are looking for."

"So you have seen a picture?"

Nodding his head yes, he adds, "We have watched video too.  You are safe with us."

"How many of you are there?"

"You have 6 total.  Three of us during the day and then 3 over night."

"Where's number 3 for the day?  I only see 2 of you." she inquires.

"Ma'am, the third man is in the front of the house.  You will be surrounded all day and all night." he tells her, hoping that he's helping to ease her tension a little bit. 

Beth politely thanks him and walks away. She takes a walk around the house and eyes the third security guard.  She was hoping that seeing the third would make her feel better, but it didn't.  Making her way back to the patio, she sits down and sips her coffee and waits for her rock star to get up.

1 comment:

  1. I get why Beth is staying behind but I think she is making a more mistake in doing so.
    My gut says Dalton is going to try and hurt her once Jon leaves.

    ReplyDelete